Thursday, August 20, 2009

Can we sing?

It is not hard to sing, but sometimes it can be hard to worship. When situations around us don't reflect our moods we find it hard to extract our self, to think externally. When we are not in a place to produce happiness can we still worship? The children of Israel had a similar question:


By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion, We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof. For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us [required of us] mirth, [saying], Sing us [one] of the songs of Zion. How shall we sing the LORD'S song in a strange land? (Psalm 137:1-4)


How can we sing when we find ourselves in this place of distress and pain? How do we make a joyful noise? What I have learnt is that even when I am down, when there is pain around, distress around if I can give God the Praise, my focus starts to move from a place of self to the knowledge that there is one who can come in and deliver me. When I sing of my great and awesome God, my heart begins to soar, my body may still be in the same situation but my spirit is in the Lord, And sooner rather than later my mood must follow for it has to align itsself with my Spirit.

I love to worship, I love to sing of the greatness of my God for He has done so very much for me. I could sing of your love forever!

So rather than ask myself "can I sing?" I will concur with King David and say
"I WILL bless the Lord at all times!"

I will praise him! My feelings have nothing to do with the desire of my heart, in fact my feelings must follow my spirit. I will soar with my God, above the storm, above the trials. When thunder roars and the lighting flashes, when seas rise and the land quakes. Under his mighty wings I will fly, I find rest for my soul, my heart is found in Him, and in His arms I am at peace.

I will praise HIM!

No comments: